Friday 21 September 2012

Yes Please To The CUP Bursary: An Opportunity To Pay-It-Forward


Here I am, a 40-something book lover, having a once in a lifetime opportunity to go back into full time study and learn about the craft I love so dearly namely publishing. And why do I love it? Because it is the birthplace of books.

My earliest and indeed fondest moments in life involve a book of some sort - even school books. Books were my playground. There, I got lost in the world created by the author. Oh, how I remember the joys I got from the likes of Enid Blyton (Famous Five series, The Magic Faraway Tree), Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, my Children’s Book of Bible Stories (which I outgrew in no time and read my way through the Bible by the time I was ten), Pacesetters ( a Nigerian series of thought provoking books) and a garage load more - all which were read before my teen years.
As I inched away from my teenage years, I welcomed modern writers of our time including Terry McMillan, Jodi Picoult, Francine Rivers, Karen Kingsbury, John Maxwell, Jerry B. Jenkins, Wole Soyinka, Buchi Emecheta, Ben Okri, Maya Angelou – to mention a few. And so it is no surprise that after my lifelong love affair with books, it all comes full circle after a diverse professional background. Not only have I had the privilege to write books of my own (something I sincerely consider a privilege) but now get the opportunity to learn the ins and outs of the publishing craft. Oh what joy to know that through the MA in publishing in the beautiful city of Cambridge (a historic and pertinent city when it comes to publishing), I will get to bring such an awesome experience into the lives of others. Another privilege! Plus I get to pay-it-forward to others – readers and authors like.
 
And to support me on my journey in mastering this craft, I'm applying for the Cambridge University Press Bursary Scheme offered from one of the worlds most renown publishing organisations, known for its contributions to advancing knowledge and education (to mention a few). It would be an honour to receive such a bursary and be affiliated to a publishing house synonymous with excellence when it comes to publishing. 'Cos' when I grow up, I want to be just like them...

No comments:

Post a Comment